Tuesday, January 22, 2008

almost inexhaustibly amusing

I keep looking back at this line from the notes to the Price/Bergonzi/Merrill/Verrett/Grist Ballo and laughing:

"The large crowd of citizens already there is in a state of considerable excitement, for the sorceress is expecting an immediate call from her good friend the Devil."

That is among the funnier sentences ever written.

Also why did I not know there was a Ballo with such a perfect cast until it made a lunge for my wallet at Academy?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you ever actually read the words to Ulrica's aria? I hadn't till recently. She's actually giving Satan directions on how to find her place. "Go ahead and penetrate my roof" she says, "but please not with lightning."- the implication being "cuz remember last time..."