Monday, January 30, 2006

Ou sont les juifs d'antan?

Incidentally, speaking of Charlotte Rae, nee Lubotsky, why have the numbers of yids in the operatic ranks thinned so, I wonder idly. Gone are the days of Silverman, Ticker, Peterman, and so many more. The only name that springs easily to mind is Richard Bernstein, a singer I think very highly of but who seems only to be getting supporting roles. (I'd have been happy to hear him step in for Gunn in AmTrag, even if he doesn't have the same Shikse Goddess thing going on. He ain't chopped liver, either...he's just more the yeshivah bokher next door than the boy next door.)

1 comment:

Grrg said...

I would just like to say that when I first read this I was SURE a dozen readers would leap up and say "But what about noted operatic Yids X, Y, and Z?!"

But no one did. You may be on to something.