Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Casting Rumors of the Damned, Part II

JSU has hinted at further Norma horrors over at Met Futures. I'm afraid to look.

He's also mentioned, however, that we're (Jesus, finally!) getting Radvanovsky in Trovatore. It seems to me at this point a house seems a little provincial if it hasn't showcased her Leonora, so I'm glad to hear it. [ETA: hey was anyone getting nostalgic about my glaring factual errors? No need, I'm back in the game! Giorgio gently points out my mistake: R has already sung the role here. I just didn't hear it, because the acoustics aren't that good when my head is up my ass.]

You're not going to believe this, but I sat here for ten full minutes trying to make up a casting joke about Thomas Hampson but they were tending toward the mean and unfunny, and the policy here at My Favorite Intermissions is generally: if you don't like it so much, just don't go, so I'm leaving it alone.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

The Met has already had Radvanovsky's Leonora a few years back. She was brilliant in it. Her big voice can be unwieldy at times, but she manages quite well. Glad that she's on the roster next year tho.

Oberon said...

TROV is one of Sondra's best roles and she has sung it in two or three different seasons at the Met.

JSU said...

You're going to skip Mattila's Tatyana then?

Maury D'annato said...

JSU: Ok, I hadn't seen that bit of news. Yeah, I'll go, but if he croons the end of Onegin's aria, I may just throw things.

Rachel said...

I'm glad you'll get to see Radvanovsky's Leonora. It truly is something special. I saw many of them when she was doing it in Chicago in the fall and I couldn't have been more impressed. She was dynamic.

Anonymous said...

So the Boccanegra is probably not worth going to? I was thinking on it because I, ummm, really like Furlanetto, but can a Fiesco a Boccanegra make?

Aulide tonight! Julliard! Free! I know the lead! Am thus unduly excited: free Gluck is awesome.

Maury D'annato said...

Monsterchen: Furlanetto sounds terrific. I think this is one where my opinion needs heavy salting. I don't find Boccanegra very gripping, and I just seem to have it in for Thomas Hampson. See Burns' reviewlet, in the comments for the Boccanegra non-review. It's probably pretty good and the audience liked it a lot.

I heart Gluck but am under the weather and skipping Aulide, aulas.

alex said...

Oh noes, blogger ate my comment (or I did in a fit of hunger). Hm.

Did Furlanetto sound smashing in the house? On the bcast, he sounded very blowsy and full of wolf tones (though too be honest, so did Hampson, not that I'm a fan of his singing). Of course, I'm also familiar with voices sounding like poo on the air but just fine in house.