Tuesday, February 06, 2007

A dream come, oh, about half true

As subcribers now know...

Opera fans at Lincoln Center will at long last hear Barber's Vanessa again (yay!) and with Lauran Flanigan in the title role (ZOMG TEH YAYS!), but they will have to take a left turn as they walk onto the plaza and hear it in the piss-poor acoustics and aesthetics of The Little Company that Sometimes Could (Um...yay, ok, better than nothing.) Katherine Goeldner, whose Orlofsky we did admire at the other house on the block, will sing Erika. I forgot who the others are, actually. Anne Manson conducts.

The rest of the season seemed like pretty standard fare with here and there an interest-piquing cast member like Beth Clayton (as Carmen.)

Hey it's not immoral or illegal or anything for me to pass this info on, is it? If I get a cease and desist email I will perform both verbs promptly. Which, considering that I tend to slag on the company, I could hardly kick about.

6 comments:

Chalkenteros said...

Joy, rapture.

Funny, I was just listening to the Brewer/Graham Vanessa on the train last night and during my coffee this morning, wondering, why oh why oh why is this not performed regularly here in good ol' New York? I mean, really? Sure it's a little dusty and old-fashioned. But so are most of the bodies occupying seats at the Met.

PS after your recommendation and my weekend jaunt down to the East Village, imagine my surprise to see Todd English on TV last night eating pierogis at Veselka!!! Ukranian overload? I sense a zeitgeist. I think I can get pierogis closer to home at Arties ...

Anonymous said...

Maury, my own source told me some weeks ago that the role of the Countess is to be sung by Rosalind Elias, who created the role of Erika in 1958. Can you confirm that?

Anonymous said...

Umm, that's the role of the "Baroness," of course.

Anonymous said...

I believe Roz Elias has been announced for the Old Baroness!

Anonymous said...

Dude, Vanessa. Totally going! Even if the NYCO acoustics make Baby Jesus cry.

Anonymous said...

There's a story that Barber wanted Resnik for the part of the Old Baroness. The singer declined, saying that as a mezzo she was tired of just standing around prompting the sporano with an occasional "E poi?"
Barber assured her that it would be a meaty role, so Resnik signed on. So what is her first line in the opera? "And then?"